This afternoon Year 2J had their first try at using a fire steel.
- They learnt that a fire steel is used to start a camp fire by creating a spark.
- They learnt that a fire steel can be used in any weather at any altitude.
- They learnt how to correctly hold the 2 parts of the fire steel.
- They learnt that it is important to keep hair tied back and scarves tucked in.
- They learnt how to safely create a spark by scraping down the fire steel, away from their body and face rather than towards.
- They also learnt how to encourage and offer tips and advice to their friends.
Offering words of advice…
During this time the rest of the children continued practising their weaving techniques to decorate a tree…
And also a bit of bug hunting finding what looks like a wriggly beetle larvae perhaps? …